Follow me on FACEBOOK

Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Poly Pick-Pocket Experience

The salisi gang works as a group in buses, where they would pretend as passengers. They would sit down around a possible victim and would leave him confused and shocked after robbing him of his belongings.

In this third world country, because of poverty people result to desperate measures, which usually leave someone harmed or impaired. I fell as a victim to such act of desperation.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


My cheap 400 peso jeans’ right-side pocket was slashed and the pick pockets got my priceless wallet. Inside it was: php200, a bulk of pictures, calling cards, my ATM, my UP I.D., my Time Zone Card, past UP form 5s and the claim stub for my shoe I had mended.

After the incident I was in total shock and wasn’t able to move. I immediately thought of what was in my wallet (good thing my tuition fee money wasn’t there…) and how the hell did they slash my pocket without even me noticing. Here’s what I remember: one guy sat beside me and was uncomfortably too close to me. I totally ignored him. Minutes before they (the crooks) went down the bus the guy in the back of my seat pretended to be adjusting the window of the ordinary bus I was in, which I made me shift my attention to him. The next thing I saw was my ripped side pocket.

The lessons I’ve learned: 1) when in an ordinary bus try to be cautious and observant. If possible, don’t let anyone sit beside you. 2) Don’t travel alone. 3) This might work: have a wallet that comes with a chain that would be attached to your pants. 4) Don’t other passengers invade your personal space.

Now the paranoia is kicking in. I might not want to travel alone soon…

No comments: