Follow me on FACEBOOK

Thursday, July 15, 2010

23 Again

I recently stumbled upon something I wrote in January of 2006. This was the time that I was frustrated with my life because I was still a student. But after working for a company and being a regular employee for 2 years I guess my outlook in life changed because of the experience. I value education more than ever and having a DEGREE is not just your name put in the diploma but more than that -- your academic foundation will define your career and your life.


Monday Mornings

As I try to write something today, I hear the "distant" guitar strumming of the person I fondly call "dad". I am 23 and still in school. People my age, most of them, are working already; Successful office workers; employees. And here I am still in school. Very much dependent on my parents' money, though sometimes some commission will come my way and that's where I earn my own. Every morning I usually hear a different "wake up call": My mom telling me the importance of time, money and how I waste them because of mot attending my classes (just the other day she insisted on waking me up and I told her that I have no morning class and she did not listen, she continued her "morning sermon") , my "dad" playing the guitar (the only tune he's mastered: Anak by Freddie Aguilar), my used to be phone now just serving as an alarm clock, and the morning sun that scorches my skin (about two months ago I never experineced this because there was a mango tree in our backyard, my dad cut it off).
It's nine in the morning. I have to go and take a shower.
"Dad" is still playing his out-of-tune rendition of Hotel California.
These are the times I wished I never went to the College of Music and developed my "ear".

No comments: